Servers and Dice

This the personal blog of Marc Reyes, Game Support Manager for Level Up! Philippines and avid tabletop Roleplaying game enthusiast. Here you'll find my thoughts about the massively multi-player online games industry and tabletop pen and dice role-playing games.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Customer Service

This is a post about Customer Service, but first a bit of background story...

I own a Nintendo DS, and when I was thrilled to find that it could play GBA (Game Boy Advance) cartridges I immediately looked forward to when I could buy the anime strategy game "Super Robot Taisen". There's a GBA English version of that game and I went looking for it.

I found it, sort of, bundled with some other games in a GBA "Combo Cartridge." in an SM Appliance Center outlet in Mall of Asia. It was the first time I bought such a combo cart... and the saleslady didn't tell me about it's inherent weakness... that such carts had a notorious reputation for deleting save games!

And five days later, that's exactly what happened. Five days of strategy and blowing up giant robots, all gone as if I'd never played.

This of course was unacceptable. I stormed back to the store where I bought it and demanded for a refund.

The saleslady first tried to point out that everybody knew that you can't save on a combo cart. I replied: "Well miss, I'm not everybody, that was my first time buying a combo cart, so you should have warned me about that no-save function... if you had, I wouldn't have bought the item in the first place."

I got bumped up to her supervisor, who offered to replace the cartridge with another game. I didn't care for any of their other offerings: I just wanted Super Robot Taisen. And they didn't have one on single cart. Again I demanded a refund.

Now the super bumped me to the store manager. He also offered to replace the item with another item from the store and I said, "I don't want anything else. Give me a refund." At that point he said that it would take two weeks and they would issue me a check for the game cartridge.

Oh well, at least I wouldn't have wasted my money. Waiting two weeks for a game cartridge refund is better then not getting a refund at all. I agreed and signed some papers and gave them the combo cart I bought.

And now my rant:

Why the heck is it so hard to get refunds in this country? There is a law, that makes a no-return no exchange policy illegal. But they still put you through the wringer just to get a refund. I remember buying books and clothes in the US, and you can bring it back to the shop for a refund that day. Why can't it be like that?

Ironic, considering I work for a customer service organization. The experience has made me aware of just how key customer service is in a business, especially an online game business.

I am aware of the other side of the coin. Truly good service does require resources and good management of the support staff. That isn't easy, but it's worth working for.

At least I know the service levels here in the company is better then the one at the store where I bought my cartridge.

Or is it? Hmm...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home