Servers and Dice

This the personal blog of Marc Reyes, Game Support Manager for Level Up! Philippines and avid tabletop Roleplaying game enthusiast. Here you'll find my thoughts about the massively multi-player online games industry and tabletop pen and dice role-playing games.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Time Consumption of Tabletop RPGs

One of the biggest barriers to entry in a tabletop RPG is time.

Given that sessions tend to last anywhere from 5-7 hours each, you really have to set aside time in order to play. Because of RL stuff like work or school, usually those with time to play usually play on a saturday.

Case in point is yours truly. Right now as I write this I'm waiting for the other players to arrive for our Exalted game (in which I am a player rather then GM). Next week I'm GMing for another group of players for MY exalted game... my schedule for the next few weekends is looking like this:

This week: Playing in an Exalted game
Next week: GMing an Exalted game
Week of the 31st: ... well it's either I go run ANOTHER Exalted game or something else...
Holyweek: No gaming. So far.
2nd week of April: AEGIS Open meet, I run my Gundam SEED demo game there.
3rd week of April: Another possible Exalted game where I GM...

I can imagine why MMORPGs are "logically superior", with a computer GM, you can play whenever... wherever. You can even play multiple games at once. Not so with tabletop

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home